May 25, 2011

Photography to Watercolour..

Derek Lam maxi, $2,890 Band of Ousiders Jacket, $1,050
A long time ago I posed the Question on my fan page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Belinda-Zanello-Fashion-styling-illustration-jewellery/148916288493758) asking fellow creatives & photographers their opinion of Fashion Illustrators using or sourcing inspiration from fashion photographer's work. Would they feel flattered or ripped off to see their work as inspiration for an artist? 
I got a great reaction:
"Flattered if inspired, if it's an illustration/painting recreation of the photograph I'd like credit given but still be flattered, if it's a photographic recreation used for commercial purposes ripped off and illegal."

"I think if credit is given, that is enough. You just have to accept if you put something out there, especially on the internet, that it is very difficult to control where it goes. But isn't that the beauty of it? Things can be passed on so easily. We are all bumping around bouncing ideas of eachother - it's difficult to separate one creative idea from another. They are simply plucked out of space/time and brought back to life again and again by creatively inspired individuals!"
few weeks ago I wrote to Antony Snape (Photographer & friend) to ask permission if I may use 3 of his photos as inspiration for my next water colour fashion illustrations as I wanted to perfect painting chiffon fabric and he had some great examples, I know because I styled the shoot! (Credit to Nichole McLachlan's gown, fellow tafe fashion grad & friend) He graciously said yes, & I've been looking forward to finishing them for so long, but you can't rush art! There was a lot of colour layering to be done to get it just how I wanted it. I know I still have a long way to go in this art style, but hope you enjoy my love of illustration as much as I do painting it for you all. 




 
Inspired by Antony Snape photography, Nichole McLachlan gown

Inspired by Antony Snape photography

Inspired by Antony Snape photography, Nichole McLachlan gown

Recently I had a customer purchase five of my fashion illustration prints to inspire her young daughter who loves to draw. It made my day. If my parents & teachers didn't encourage me when I was young, I wouldn't have thought much of my work.
Thankyou for inspiring me to inspire you... ♥


Vogue, Lanvin dress$4,900


From Wikipedia, on Fashion Illustration:
"Fashion Illustration has been around for nearly 500 years. Ever since clothes have been in existence and there was a need to translate an idea or image into a garment there has been a need for fashion illustration. Not only do fashion illustrations show a representation or design of a garment but also served as a form of art. Fashion illustration shows the presence of hand and is said to be a visual luxury. (Drake, 9).
More recently, there has been a decline of fashion illustration in the late 1930s when Vogue began to replace its celebrated illustrated covers with photographic images. Laird Borrelli, author of Fashion Illustration Now states,
Fashion Illustration has gone from being one of the sole means of fashion communication to having a very minor role. The first photographic cover of Vogue was a watershed in the history of fashion illustration and a watershed mark of its decline. Photographs, no matter how altered or retouched, will always have some association with reality and by association truth. I like to think of them [fashion Illustrations] as prose poems and having more fictional narratives. They are more obviously filtered through an individual vision than photos. Illustration lives on, but in the position of a poor relative to the fashion."

No comments:

Post a Comment