March 11, 2011

International Women's Day



I was fortunate to be involved in my old high school's celebration of International Women's Day 2011 (Centenary). A few other graduates from different fields and industries were there. We all gave a speech about what IWD meant to us and who inspires us as a woman. I decided to wear one of my graduate designs from my Tafe Collection in '09 to show the students what I was capable of & to hopefully inspire them to follow their passions. 


Here is part of what I shared:


"Last year I was given this book & I recommend every young girl and woman read it, especially in your highschool years, as you sometimes need a little reminder of what your identity is as a young woman & finding out what you’re really made of. It’s called “Treasure Yourself”, written by Miranda Kerr. While I don’t covet her glamorous supermodel career, it’s actually her mind-set and attitude towards life which has brought her not only a success, but a happy life too, and that is worth coveting. I found this paragraph inspiring & wanted to share it with you:

“I like to think that we are all unique flowers in the amazing garden we call Earth. No two of us are the same and nor should we ever want to be. We all have a place here. A daisy is as beautiful as a sunflower. We all face challenges in different ways and we all have different strengths to help us through life. To find your strength, my advice would be to get to know who you are and listen to yourself before doing anything else. Think about your options and the consequences of each action you might take. Strive to be the best you can be and focus on who you are in each moment. 

I believe the only way to handle a challenge is to face it head on with an open mind and heart. Challenges are what life gives us to make us stronger. Welcome challenges and you will open the doors to opportunity and growth. Your own strength will be reflected back to you as you realise what you can accomplish.” International Women’s Day for me has been about empowering women and inspiring and engaging them in celebrating what we have achieved in the past, what we are yet to achieve in the future and being here now in the present. Thankyou."



 I hope you also had a good International Women's Day, I know that my experience of it through highschool made it all the more richer. 


Belinda Xx
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Belinda-Zanello-Fashion-styling-illustration-jewellery/148916288493758

No comments:

Post a Comment